The Onion Network: Sony Releases New Stupid Piece Of...

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Broken Things List

It is almost ridiculous how where I am in life manifests in material things around me.
It's kind of scary too, when I come to think of it.
Or maybe the scary thing really is the reflection I discover in the mirror...

So here it goes, the list of things that broke down, stopped functioning, got lost or even stolen. And most of this happened in like 8-10 weeks' time.

cell phone - 3 keys went non-functional for several weeks, leaving me unable to dial new numbers and send only wacky text messages, before the whole thing just refused to be charged.
oven - dunno, won't start. how do you jack up an oven? I'm sure I did this somehow.
backpack - it was a good one, but obviously not suitable for carrying heavy tools around for 3 months. I wanted to travel with this.
knapsack - same. it's just a zipper here, but that makes it equally useless.
computer - well, it just needs upgrades to an extent where it's more worth to buy another computer... it cannot handle my photos and general activity anymore.
monitor - OK, I bought it used after the other one died. I could never calibrate the hell of that green out of it. unsuitable for working with pictures.
computer desk - didn't support the heavier monitor. if I took the two pieces of 2x4 holdong it up, it would probably come of leaving a serious opening in the wall.
mp3 player - yes, this was not an iPod either, but I expected it to last longer than a couple of months... and without music, I'm going insane :(
iTunes - needs to be upgraded, doesn't work. no music :(
Photoshop - same as above. can use just Elements 4.0, which is not complete enough.
flat tire on car - I was driving around the jobsite on the donut for 3 weeks before I could come up with the money to get a used tire.
car - I should spend $700 on repairs and $500 on insurance before it's of any use again.
bike - just a flat tire there, too.
tools - there's a bunch of them that are broken and useless. you have to keep investing in your tools all the time.

Items I managed to lose:
2 pairs of gloves
2 hats
1 set of apartment keys (Snoopy found his way back after a week, and it was such a great party it was well worth the 1 hour wait for the landlady upon getting home)
1 Nikon lens cap 58mm

Item that was stolen:
1 DeWalt drill/screwdriver, taken from the jobsite when there was 3 of us working around it. about $200 to replace.

I know, I never wanted bonds with objects. The more things you own, the more likely they will start owning you.
But then there's comfort.
And then there's personal sustainability... meaning health as much as the ability to make money.
Finally, there's a combination of stupid actions, carelessness and bad luck... the Mortal Mix.

No comments:

Ween - Baby Bitch